Were You Injured During a Rochester Protest, but Don’t Have Health Insurance? 

Amanda Gallipeau September 15, 2020

Read as PDF here.

If you need health coverage and are at the hospital, or have unpaid bills, you have the right to ask for their “charity care” policy. Hospitals have funds to cover services for those who are uninsured, regardless of immigration status, on a sliding scale basis up to 300% of the federal poverty level, or $38,280 for a household of 1. You may also be required to also submit a Medicaid application at this time.

  • Hospitals cannot send account to collections while a charity care application is pending.
  • Patients must receive notice 30 days prior to referral to collection.
  • If you are found to be eligible for Medicaid, collection cannot commence on any outstanding debt resulting from services provided when you applied.
  • Hospitals must require any contracted collections agencies to comply with the hospital’s financial assistance (charity care) policy. If your case was referred to collections, collections agencies must also provide information on charity care, and how to apply.

There are health insurance options available to you. To apply or find an in-person assistor in your area, please visit the New York State Marketplace https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/ or call 1-855-355-5777.

If you have questions, please contact the Empire Justice Center Health Law Unit at 1-800-724-0490 x 5822, or by email health@empirejustice.org.   


Please note: Do not send us any nonpublic information about any legal matter for which you seek legal representation until we request that you do so. Empire Justice attorneys will inform you if and when your matter is considered for legal representation. Until that time, any information you provide WILL NOT be considered confidential, and NO attorney-client relationship is formed by communications received through this website. Any information available on the website is for general legal education purposes only, and is not legal advice.