Immigrant Victims of Crime

Immigration law provides some remedies to immigrants without status when they are victims of domestic violence and other crimes. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) provides battered immigrants married to US citizens or to lawful permanent residents an avenue for gaining status independent of their batterers. Immigrant victims of domestic violence and other crimes who are not eligible to self-petition through VAWA may be eligible for a U or T visa as a victim of crime or of trafficking. Generally these remedies require cooperation with law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. Here you will find information on how to contact Empire Justice Center for information or possible assistance, as well as know your rights information.