Step 1: Review CASH operations overview slides
Step 2: Complete NYS-mandated sexual harassment training
- Training is required annually for staff and volunteers of Empire Justice Center (CASH’s parent agency)
- Empire Justice Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy
Step 3: Complete language access training
- Catholic Family Center How to work with an interpreter, 
- Empire Justice Center/ CASH Language Access Policy
- Working together: Deaf and Hearing People
Step 4: Download/Pick Up Training Materials
- Pub 4012 – Main Reference Guide for Tax Preparation
- Pub 6744 – Test/Retest Booklet
- Limited supply of printed materials (Pub 4012 & 6744) are available for pickup at the CASH Site, Rochester Public Library, 4th Floor, 161 South Avenue, Rochester, NY 14626
- Additional Training & Reference materials available
- Helpful Hints for Tests: Basic, Advanced
Step 5: Complete Online Training
Each item has videos, downloadable files, and other information.
- Federal (Review all 12 Modules)
- New York State
- CASH & TaxSlayer
- Optional In-person Tax Workshops In January (sign up on Volunteer Hub)
Step 6: Complete IRS certification test
- Advanced test-optional for new volunteers
- Online test instructions
- Email electronically signed copy of Volunteer Agreement (Form 13615) to CASH Admin Asst
Step 7: Complete background check
- Once you submit your IRS certification test to CASH Admin Asst, you will be sent a link to fill paperwork regarding your background check. It takes about 10 minutes to fill out. The Volunteer Program Manager will notify you once you are in the clear within a week after you complete the paperwork.
- For more information, please read this document.
Step 8: Attend an In-person Onboarding Session.
- Sign up for an On-Boarding session on Volunteer Hub.
- Bring Picture ID
- At the onboarding session, you will be given information
needed to volunteer either at the site or remotely
Step 9: Complete Online Training Evaluation Survey
- Evaluation link will be available January 2021